John Rivers whips up Chicken & Dumplings
Welcome Home host Barbara Beck and chef John Rivers (4Rivers Smokehouse, The Coop) meet in our studio to show us how to recreate the country classic, chicken & dumplings. Follow the video and recipe below to make this delicious dish for you and your family.
Chicken and Dumplings
- 2 Tbsp Salted butter
- 3/4 Cup Diced Vidalia Onion
- 1/2 Cup Diced Celery
- 1/2 Cup Julienne Carrots
- 1.5 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Qt Chicken Stock
- 1 Lb Shredded Chicken
- 1/2 Tbsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Fresh chopped Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Fresh chopped Sage
- 1 Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 5 Oz Beurre Manie (equal parts butter and flour)
- In large Rondeau on medium heat add butter, sautee onion and garlic, add celery, carrots, kosher salt and black pepper until translucent.
- Add thyme, sage and chicken stock and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes
- Add shredded chicken and check seasoning.
- In a separate Rondeau add all bueree maine and half of the hot base above. Puree with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Incorporate mixture back into the first Rondeau using a whisk.
- Bring to a hard boil and then reduce heat and simmer for an additional 15 mins to reduce.
- Whisk in cream
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1.25 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1.25 Tbsp Unsalted Butter (Melted)
- 1 Each Egg
- 2 tsp Celery Seed
- 1.5 Qt Chicken broth to poach dumplings
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl
- Combine broth, egg, butter, and flour mixture by making a well in the dry mix until just incorporated.
- Dumpling mix needs to be made in advance and set for 2 hours before use.
- Bring 1.5 Qts of chicken broth to a simmer.
- Using a 45/.5 oz scoop add dumplings to the poaching liquid and poach until fluffy and firm to the touch.
- Add dumplings to the top of the base and lightly season with celery salt.